In less than a 24 hours, I will be traveling from Cape Town to the Europe for the holidays and I am pretty much excited about it because instead of just visiting the Netherlands, my babe and I will be doing a couple of trips cross country vibes. Plane tickets booked, accommodation booked, dinners booked and we are well ready for it all.
One thing that always graze me off though is looking beautiful without wasting time when getting ready and also being ready for anything that might happen during the course of a day touring places and meeting friends for dinner. My first concern is always my hair! I would rather not have to deal with my fro during the festive season, I honestly do not have time to be brushing and detangling.
Keeping the skin clear and clean while looking amazing is essential and here are a few tips on how to not burden yourself with all that and still feel great:
- Be versatile about your hair. It’s always great to get it box braided and you just switch up the look every time. Or have simple but funky cornrows which can be covered with a wig to make your look even more interesting.
- Get a beret or a hat that can help with looking different everyday.
- Always carry an essential oil for your scalp to help with any climate changes but keep it at a 100ml.
- If it is cold, it is always best to wear a wig so not to stress out your hair.
- Visit a local salon for a nice braid wash if possible to keep the scalp clean. I have realised it is difficult washing braids than anything else.
- Drink water.
- Stay away from make-up when flying. It is not good for you. Like, who the hell are you trying to look good for? the flight attendants?!!
- Always have some wet wipes with you to wipe your face during transfers or every 5 hours to help your skin breathe especially during long flights.
- Drink more water. This is very important.
- Apply a night cream oil to help getting rid of bags or signs of tiredness.
- Always have your hands dry (obviously)
- Keep a hygienic habit when it comes to hands and face
- It helps carrying a hand sanitiser
- Trim your nails all the time. This helps with breaking and polish chirping
- Base coat is important to protect your nails from nail polish stain. You can also add a layer of base after every coat for lasting shine and protection.
- Give your nails a break. The way you give your face a break from make up. Let your nails breathe for a moment. So a week before you travel, just have clear, clean nails before bedazzling them.
I guess the point here is that, try keep your hair and skin routine as natural as possible. Only apply make-up when you know you won’t be sleeping on the road- overnight to help your skin breathe and get used to new climates. Your hair should not be a priority but taking care of it is important- which means, keep it minimal while giving it what it needs.
I hope this helps. What do you do to keep your skin and hair clean during the holidays?